This policy sets out how we deal with personal and other information that we collect.
Your privacy is important to us and we adhere to the Australian Privacy Principles contained in the Privacy Act 1988 (Commonwealth).
From time to time, we may review and update this policy. Any updates will be published on, or linked to from, our websites.
What personal information we collect
We only collect personal information that is necessary for carrying out the activities of our organisation.
If you visit our websites or use our services, we may obtain the following types of information about you: name, organisation name, job title, email address, telephone number, mailing address, geographic location, IP address from which you are accessing the internet and social media handles.
We also collect personal information about our own board members, staff and volunteers, and collect information for the purposes of projects and research. In these cases, additional types of information, including sensitive information, may be collected, but only with the consent of the individual.
How we collect personal information
We collect personal information when you access our websites, register for events, enrol for training or sign-up for our newsletters.
We also collect personal information through our membership application and renewal processes, through application processes for working and volunteering with us, including serving on our Board, and when we establish relationships with other organisations, including other peak bodies and suppliers.
In some circumstances we may be provided with personal information from a third party (for example, from a member organisation or other mental health community organisation).
How we store personal information
We protect the personal information we hold from misuse, loss, unauthorised access, modification, interference or disclosure using various methods including locked storage of paper records and password-controlled access rights to computerised records.
We destroy or permanently de-identify personal information no longer needed and/or after legal requirements for retaining documents have expired.
We use a number of services that store personal information, including the following. Some of these services store information outside Australia, including ‘in the cloud’:
- Microsoft Dynamics which we use for managing our members and our volunteers as well as contacts in government, other peak bodies and policy organisations
- Xero which we use for accounting and payroll and for managing our suppliers
- Mailchimp and Campaign Monitor that collect names and email addresses that we use for our newsletters
- Microsoft Forms that collects various types of information that we use for surveys
- Humantix that collects various types of information that we use for ticketing events. This service also processes payments, however we do not have any access to any information about credit/debit cards or other payment methods
- Google analytics software that collects IP address and other device-related information for visits to our websites.
How we use and disclose personal information
We will use or disclose your personal information only for the primary purpose for which it was collected, unless:
- you consent to a secondary use
- it is for a directly related secondary purpose you would reasonably expect
- it is to a related or associated organisation for the purpose of providing a service.
Apart from where we use services that store information outside Australia, and in the ‘cloud’ (as noted above), we will not send your personal information outside Australia without obtaining your consent.
Accessing and updating personal information
We endeavour to ensure that the personal information we hold is accurate, complete and up-to-date.
You can contact us to review, correct, update or delete your personal information, or to advise us of a privacy issue or complaint:
- email: email@example.com
- phone: 02 5104 7714
- post: MHCC ACT, The Griffin Centre, 20 Genge Street, Canberra City ACT 2601
This policy was last updated September 2022.