Understanding & responding to trauma workshop
Many people who experience mental distress have experienced trauma in their lives. Trauma can result from family dysfunction, school or workplace bullying, violence and conflict, neglect and abuse. Trauma survivors are at risk of being re-traumatised in social service and health care settings that are not trauma-informed.
In this workshop, experienced trainers cover topics designed to assist service providers to understand and respond effectively to the impacts of trauma and minimise the risk of further harm.
- Understand the current thinking about trauma informed care and how to apply this in the workplace.
- Understand how to respond and support people who have experienced trauma.
- Understand the difference between trauma-informed services and trauma therapy.
- Identify stress responses.
- Explore the impact of intergenerational trauma - particularly in Aboriginal communities.
- Explore re-traumatisation in services and systems.
- Explore strategies for preventing and managing vicarious trauma.
- Promote safety: triggers and flashbacks, safe relationships, safe environments.
- Introduction and Language
- The relationship between Trauma-Informed Care (TIC) and Recovery-Oriented services and practice
- Understanding the nature and impact of trauma
- Understanding the stress response
- Trauma-informed care—recognition of safety
- Safety in service environments
- Re-traumatisation of consumers within services
- Using an understanding of the impact of trauma to support survivors
- Families and communities—ripples of trauma
- The importance of safe and healing relationships
- Responding to disclosure
- Impact on workers
- Trauma-informed responses to heightened distress
This workshop is delivered by MHCC NSW.
The Griffin Centre 20 Genge Street
Canberra City, ACT 2617
|MHCC Member - I belong to a member organisation of < 6 FTE staff||$ 100.00 (includes GST of $ 9.09)|
|MHCC Member - I belong to a member organisation of > 6 FTE staff)||$ 150.00 (includes GST of $ 13.64)|
|Non-Member (registrations for non-Members are subject to availability)||$ 400.00 (includes GST of $ 36.36)|